Sunday 26 July 2015

B&S meets...Kate Parker

We're delighted to introduce Bubble London's new campaign image, which will serve as the inspiration for our A/W16 show!


It was taken by Kate Parker, an acclaimed American photographer whose work touches on everything from adoption to being female. We asked the Atlanta-based mum of two to tell us more about our beautiful new campaign shot...


Kate, can you tell us a bit more about this season's campaign image? When and where was it taken?

This shot was taken in a bathroom at a kids play place (one of those places with jumpy castles everywhere). I had taken my daughter to the bathroom, and realised when she was washing her hands that the purple wall and hand dryer would make for a great shot. She was happy to oblige. I had to shove myself under the sinks to get the perspective I wanted, but it was totally worth it! 

Have you always been interested in photography?

I have always been interested in images. My mother is a painter, and was always drawn to design and colour. I love how photography allows us to capture a singular moment, perfectly. 



When and why did you decide to pursue a career in photography? 

I had stopped working (in advertising) after the birth of my first child ten years ago - and, like so many other new moms, I wanted to be able to capture these amazing moments. I threw myself into learning and decided to pursue it as a career. I think my background in advertising and editing has helped me immensely. 

What inspired your work? 

Light, emotion, fun, colour.



Could you tell us a bit more about your two most recent projects, Blended and Strong is the New Pretty?

Blended follows the story of my nephew from adoption to today; we love that little man so much, and have been so lucky and thankful to document so many great moments. Strong is the New Pretty (soon to be a book with Workman Publishing, Spring 2017) showcases young girls as strong, confident, fearless and as they really are. 



What is the key to good children's photography?

Honesty...and good lighting! 


We hope you love Bubble's new campaign image as much as we do! You can learn more about the wonderful Kate at katetparkerphotography.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment